Sunday, September 28, 2014

Work Stuff

We have been SO busy over here during the past couple of months.  Too busy to update the blog, but I don't want to completely neglect it, so here goes!

I've been working part-time for the past two years as an outpatient GI PA.  I worked in as a GI clinic in Wisconsin as well, pre-kids.  I have really loved my job here.  I work with an excellent physician.  He is extremely smart and expects a lot but I don't mind that.  He trusts me and we work very well together.

I was hired to work just 10 hours a week.  I can really dictate my own schedule so when they need extra help I have often works picked up an extra 2-4 days a month (working about 12-15 hours a week on average). 

We've lucked out and had very good babysitters during the past two years.  Victor also has a fairly flexible schedule, so on my work days, he goes in very early and is home by 3:30 PM so he can get the kids off of the bus.

The practice I work in has just two providers, two medical assistants, and a receptionist.  We are part of a bigger corporation with a total of around 30 providers (MDs, PAs, NPs).  I'm guessing there is around 60 support staff as well.  Well, the two administrators that run the entire organization both quit within a month of each other.  The hospital we are associated with, hired someone new to replace the head administrator.  This guy was a mistake.   He got fired within 2 months of being hired but during his short tenure I believe 13 of 60 support staff were either fired or quit.  

One of the medical assistants in the GI clinic was on this list of fired/quit personnel.  There was a LOT of drama  surrounding this which is primarily done, but that was stressful.  In addition to her departure, the other MA is on maternity leave.  The physician I work with is at an advanced training course for 3 months.  Right before he left for that, they hired a brand new NP for the GI clinic.  She is very nice, but knows absolutely nothing (her training was inadequate) about gastroenterology (I did not meet her before they hired her). 

So, if you noticed the GI clinic has lost 2 MA's and the physician is on a 3 month advanced training course (out of country). 

This has left me to cover two providers patients by myself plus the responsibility of training the new NP.  All without any consistent office staff.  

Because patient care is of utmost importance to me, I have been working from home everyday.  Answering any phone messages and calling patients with questions/concerns from my personal cell phone.   The two days I've been at work have been 12 hour days.  

My fun little job has been a bit of a nightmare during the past 6 weeks.

Thankfully, it will only be like this for 5 more weeks, as that's when the doctor I work with will be back.   This helps me because he covers patient phone calls on the days I'm not at work (I cover them for both of us on the days I'm at work) and the paper work gets divided between the two of us.

The bad administrator that was fired, was replaced by someone much, much better.  She has promised to pay me for the time I've been putting in at home.  But, Friday afternoon, I got an e-mail from her, concerned that my last paycheck was for 45 hours (I have not charged them for any of the time I've worked from home yet) and I'm only budgeted for 32 hours a pay period.   She was wondering what the problem was and suggested that maybe I could do more of my paperwork between patients, rather than late at night. 

I quickly (politely) reminded her that I am covering two providers patients and training a "student" all on a part-time schedule with NO office staff.  Haha!  

She backed down fast, and just suggested I call security and let them know if I am there past 6 PM (think 9 PM) in the future so they can walk me out.  She also reassured me that I would be paid for the time I am working, even though it will continue to be more than 32 hours a pay period until my colleague returns.  Ugh!
 Despite the staffing/administrative issues recently, I really think we provide good patient care that rivals (or beats) the care from the much, much larger GI practice I worked at in Milwaukee.

This is why the blog has been very, very quiet! I trust my fun job will return to a more normal status come mid-November.

No comments: