Thursday, April 7, 2011

Notable moments - Three Ring Circus

Well, my first week home with all three went better than expected.  This week has been a different experience.  I am still loving being a mom to three and think having a new baby has been wonderful.  Carson is still very laid back and easy going most of the time.  That is a good thing as Erik and Lainey have been TROUBLE!

Here are a few examples of the trouble they have gotten into this week. (Erik has been the ringleader although Lainey is more than happy to follow him down a destructive path.)

- Two separate days Erik stole a popsicle out of the freezer.  This involves using a bar stool to reach to the highest shelf in the freezer.  Then he used a chair to reach a sharp pair of scissors to open the popsicle.  Then he hid himself in the bathroom hoping not to be found.

-Using the same bar stool Erik has helped himself to snacks out of the pantry.  Tonight while I was on a walk I discovered he had taken a full box of cheerios off of the top shelf, cut the entire top of the bag off and flattened and recycled the box.  Victor was upstairs putting Lainey to bed.

- One morning I left Erik downstairs watching a video while I took Lainey and Carson upstairs so I could take a shower.  Even if I leave both Erik and Lainey downstairs they usually do okay.  Well, this time Lainey snuck downstairs.  I went to investigate about 5 minutes later to find them both outside in the backyard.  Lainey was outside standing in the garden in her socks digging up a row of lettuce (at least where we had planted the seeds).  Erik was watching her looking amused.

- Getting dressed in the morning is an issue.
               -Lainey wants to do it all herself but can't.  She kicks and fights as hard 
as she canwhen I am getting her dressed and almost always takes all of her clothes 
off at least once before we leave the house. 

-Erik wants me to get him dressed.  I refuse as he is fully capable.
This morning he wasted the entire 5 minutes (that's how long I set the timer for; if not 
making a decent effort to get dressed by then he gets a time out) laying on his back 
with his legs sticking straight up in the air singing.  Every once and a while
he would suck in his stomach and tell me to look at how skinny he is.
He got a "room " timeout.  When I went to get him out
he was still laying on the floor naked with his feet in the air.

- We have the doorknob on Erik and Lainey's rooms reversed.  We use this, as you may suspect, to lock them in their rooms occasionally.  Lainey door is locked at night (we have a monitor so we can hear if she needs anything) as she will otherwise wander around the house when she gets up.  On two occasions Erik has locked the door to Lainey's room.  The first time Victor, Carson, Lainey, and I were all in the room.  He did thankfully unlock it when we told him too.  The second time he locked Victor, Lainey, and Carson in the room.  I was gone but came home shortly after this had occurred.  Victor hadn't tried to get out yet but I am not sure what he would have done if I hadn't come home as Erik was downstairs and showed no interest in unlocking the door (this was when he broke into the cheerios).  

-Generally speaking getting distracted inhibits productivity.  Today we were at the neighborhood playground.  Lainey and Erik both walked and I carried Carson.  Lainey took her doll stroller with her.  The journey there went well.  Lainey only stopped once to dance to the neighbors music. The way home was more adventorous....  

We left the park shortly after getting there 
because Lainey had to go to the bathroom.

When crossing the street Lainey stopped and 
sat down in the middle of the road to collect pebbles.

Once I coaxed her onto the sidewalk she decided that walking 
home backwards was more fun. 

I picked up her doll stroller since she couldn't really walk backward and
manuever the stroller.  This ticked her off so I gave it back after she 
started walking "normally".

Five steps later she sat down because she needed to nurse her baby.

At this point I picked up her doll stroller and told her I was going home.
She threw a fit but didn't actually head toward our house.
Finally I had to actually take her doll which 
made her mad enough
to chase after me. 

We did make it home in time for her to go to the bathroom!  


One more day before the weekend.  I am sure tomorrow will contain more stories and adventures.  Hopefully, the kids will get all the dickens out of them soon.  Until them I am trying to be patient and find humor in their antics as I know they are a reaction to having a new baby/mom being distracted. 

2 comments:

Kristal said...

Oh, my!!!! I'm once again soooo grateful that Kate is my firstborn, because if I would have had Erik and Lainey... I'm not sure I'd have been able to keep them alive. Talk about distracted... I might have lost them!

Hanna said...

This is hilarious. I love every single one of these stories (although I'm sure it's not that funny at the time)!! Good luck to you--I'm sure you're up to the task, but it sounds like your three are going to put you to work!! :)