Thursday, July 3, 2014

Wacky Kids make a Wacky Cake!

Inspired by my friend Kristal, I decided to let my kids make a cake independently.  I did put all the appropriate ingredients and measuring cups out for them but they did the rest.  They made a chocolate cake and frosting from scratch and it was good!

I did stop them once, before they put a tablespoon of salt in the cake, instead a teaspoon.  Otherwise they really did it on their own.  Erik read the instructions and they each took turns putting ingredients in and then mixing it up.

They made chocolate frosting also, but we ate the cake immediately and just dumped frosting onto our pieces.  Why?  Well, wacky cake baking was part of my late night surprise adventure.  The kids had gone to bed already but I woke them up around 8:45 as it was getting dark.  We shot off fireworks and ran around the yard with sprinklers.   Since they were already sufficiently riled up, I thought it'd be fun to make the cake right then and there.  Ha!  They went to bed at 10:15.  Probably the latest they've ever been up!

They've been told not to leave there rooms before 8 AM.  I'm pretty sure the older three will listen but Kyle however will still greet us nice and early.

It was a fun night!  I hope to have late night surprises off and on as they grow.  I think it will make for some fun memories.

Here are some photos from the cake event....










1 comment:

Austin & Terri said...

That is an awesome idea! One I will have to try in another year or two :)