Sunday, July 6, 2014

Busy, Fun Weekend - Happy 4th of July!

Well, this long weekend started out with the wacky cake adventure and continued to be a very busy and fun time!

I really had fun with all of my kids this weekend.  It's nice to see them get bigger and really be able to enjoy the people they are becoming.  They are such a big blessing.

On 4th of July we were home in the morning.  I made a blackberry cobbler using blackberries from our garden. (Yum!)  We spent the afternoon/evening at a friends parents house.  They live in the country overlooking the river.  It was beautiful!  There house is up on a cliff (kind of) so there isn't direct waterfront access to the river but they have a small spring fed pond for fishing and paddle boating.  They also own a pony and two goats.  Our friend Brian had a large supply of amazing fireworks as well.    The weather was perfect all weekend (80 and sunny, no humidity or mosquitos) so that made it even more fun. 

The kids were up until 10:30 that night.  (10:15 the night before)

Saturday we went to a Blue Crabs game (minor league baseball).  We'd never been there before but had a great time.  The crowd was VERY small so we were able to sit in front row seats, close enough to almost reach out and touch the players.  Our team lost in the 9th but it was a still a fun time.  Lainey, Kyle, and I left halfway through the game and headed off on another adventure.  Victor said that by the end of the game, the players were chatting with Carson and gave him a piece of gum.  So
funny! 









Lainey, Kyle and I left early because we were headed to Tyson's Corner in VA.  Why?  Well, to visit the American Doll store.  This was Lainey's first time ever stepping foot into a mall!  Man was she excited when she realized there was both an American Doll store and a Disney store.   She was actually skipping gleefully down the mall hallway.  

Since we live 90 minutes from a mall and have no plans to go back to one anytime soon I let her have quite a bit of fun in the American Doll store.  We ate lunch in the resturant, got her doll's hair fixed, and did some shopping.  The bitty baby's were  30% off so I let her pick one more out.   She LOVES her American girl collection, so even though they are hard to justify price-wise, it is a toy she uses daily and has for years.  (She mainly just loves the baby's.  She has one  actual "girl" - which I bought when she was born because the doll's name is Laney.  It was the 2009 doll of the year.)










Her new bitty baby has blond hair and blue eyes.  She's told me for quite sometime that she wanted a blond hair-blue eyed bitty baby.  This bugs me for some reason. I worry about her thinking the  blond hair, blue eye doll being "best" when she has brown hair and brown eyes herself.  She hasn't expressed that sentiment at all so I hope she isn't already quietly worrying about her looks at just barely 5.   I'm probably biased, but man, I think Lainey is so pretty.  Of course, no matter how pretty a girl is, they somehow always find someway to worry about their looks. 

Anyway, I am probably waaaay over-analyzing her doll choice! Ha!   She does LOVE her new doll and has slept with it in her arms the last two nights.

This afternoon I took Erik and Lainey canoeing.  It again was a beautiful day and we had a lot of fun!  We paddled our canoe right next to geese, ducks, swans, and a heron.   The song, "Kiss the Girl" kept running through my head. 



Then to top off a busy, active weekend I was able to convince Carson to try riding his two wheel bike and he was successful!  He is so, so proud of himself for being able to ride his bike without training wheels, just like Erik and Lainey.  (I'm pretty proud of him too.)


I'm so thankful we were able to spend a weekend together as a family. 

No comments: